Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Stoke Rugby Club Preview

Afternon readers,

We're back in Premier League action tonight and I don't think a lot of people realize how big a game this is in our season. A lot of minds are at Wembley on Sunday, I just hope the players are fully focused on this game. If we win it will put massive pressure on Man.United not to drop any points as they play Wigan, Chelsea and Liverpool over the next few weeks. Its an exciting time for us because this is the part of the season where many of us saw Arsenal taking advantage of United's difficult run of fixtures. We have to do our part though, Stoke as much as we hate them are a good side on their day and if we allw them to score first then we could be in for a very difficult evening.

Of course past events make this game all the more interesting but its important the players keep focus and don't get carried away. There might well be some crunching tackles out there tonight. No doubt the home fans will attempt to jump at the chance to yell at every Stoke player. I have no problem with that. My only concern is that ur players get involved in the tustle. Perhaps its a good thing that Diaby is suspended for this game because we all know his fuse has been trimmed lately.

The team news isn't as promising as we would have liked. Robin Van Persie has been ruled out with a hamstring injury. The boss says its short term and he's in with a chance of starting Sunday's cup final. Laurent Koscielny has also been ruled out with a back injury but he too could make Sunday's game. Diaby is suspended but would have been out anyway due to a calf strain, I'm not too sure about the extent of his injury. The injuries to Van Persie and Koscielny are massive blows I must say. Both have recently been playing the best football of their careers in my opinion and against a stubborn side like Stoke, you really could do with having your best players at your disposal.

I do think we can manage. This is how I see us lining up tonight:

Szezesny

Sagna - Djourou - Squillaci - Clichy

Fabregas - Song - Wilshere

Walcott - Bendtner - Nasri

People who think Walcott should play in the middle need to take a look at who we're playing. Shawcross and Huth would bully him all day. This game is perfectly suited for Bendtner, I know he's been playing on the right a lot lately and has done a decent job but he can be equally if not more effective in the centre. In fact he scored a terrific header against Stoke last season at the Britannia which set us on our way to a remarkable victory given the circumstances. If it wasn't for Djourou recovering from his back injury we might well have been looking at a Song - Squillaci partnership which would make anyone go to town in their underwear. If I had to chose a partner for Squillaci out of Djourou and Koscielny it would definately be the Swiss man. Look back to the start of the season and they were pretty solid together keeping clean sheets against Manchester City, West Ham and Wolves. They've got a major task on their hands trying to keep out the big duo of Kenwyne Jones and John Carew but I think they can if both bring their A-game.

As for the Stoke line up, heres how I think it will pan out:

Begovic

Wilkinson - Shawcross - Huth - Collins

Pennant - Whitehead - Wilson - Delap

Jones - Carew

Etherington is a major doubt which will do us no harm because he has been having a decent season up till now. I don't see a whole pile of danger in that midfield. Pennant is fast but I think Clichy is more than equipped to handle him. The only reason Delap is still a professional footballer is because of his long throws it seems. Laugh all you want its still a pretty effective tactic and we have got to be prepared for it. This is where Bendtner could come in handy too should he start. Up front you have Jones and Carew. I've already mentioned the threat posed by their strenght and height. When the ball is on the ground they aren't the most lethal of strikers you'll ever come across. Song may need to do some extra covering tonight.

Another man who may have a part to play tonight is Andrey Arshavin. The Russian has been speaking about how criticism dented his confidence but is delighted to be back to his best now.
"I think it was a combination, my form and they [the media] chased me a little bit as well," said Arshavin.
"Normally everyone expects something more from me and that is good to hear, because only from good players does someone expects something."
As happy as I am to see him finding his feet again I still think he has a lot of work to do to force his way back into the first team. Walcott and Nasri occupy his preferred positions and those two have been sensational for us this season. It may take an injury (God forbid) for him to be given a good run in the team. Still, he can make a huge impact off the bench as we've seen against Everton and most notably Barcelona.

I think I'll leave it there for today. Its a night where patience may be required but we'll stay behind the players for the whole 90 minutes and boo Shawcross till he cries heh. Speaking of Shawcross, check out this video I came across earlier. For some reason I think you'll like it: http://twitvid.com/7VIBG .
Anyway, enjoy the game folks, back tomorrow with a positive match report I hope!
Till then.

No comments:

Post a Comment